Well it's been a while in the shaping - the years in the title are irrelevant as it's not a purely annual thing - it's just time. I began 2007 with some fairly hefty challenges, namely:
climb 7c at Dinbren - Try an E8 this year- Run a sub 2min 800m this summer- Run a 16min splash 5km this summer- Try an 8a - Take more pictures- Phone a friend
Now it's time to review things...
- I managed to redpoint 2 8a's (one at Dinbren)
- I lead routes of 7c both here and in France (2 of which 2nd go, narrowly missing the OS)
- I played on a total of 6 different routes up to 8a+ in both Spain and France and could lead them in sections fairly quickly, although I never redpointed them.
- I onsighted up to 7b+
- I flashed a V8 and a V7 boulder problem
- I've onsighted E6 and toproped an E8
- I have maintained a weekly running mileage above 55 mpw since August
What does all this translate to? Well firstly I can see I have progressed a bit but I really have to work on my redpointing tactics if I am going to get the most out of myself. Spain was a prize example - I was trashed from the sheer volume of climbing 7's that I’d no skin or energy left to redpoint an 8! Although I could lead it in two sections within a days work. I need some projects, and I need the time and stability to afford me the chance to work them - hard! Regarding running I’m taking a different approach - volume of miles and focusing on middle distance road races - I just want to get fitter and faster - simple.
So now, what do I want to try and achieve this time around?
- Redpoint 3 more 8a's
- work an 8b
- boulder V10
- build up to 15 finger tip pull-ups on my board
- Increase the weekly mileage to at least 70 mpw and maintain it there
This may not sound too concise or well thought-out but it's all I’ve got. I just need to get my teeth into something and then plough away at it till I send it... I’ll update as and when I feel the need but for now I’ve made my mark in the sand as it were :)